Marigold or Genda, A beautiful yellow and orange flower. Everyone must have heard or seen this flower. It is very common, and we can even see it in our lawns and gardens to grow and have a lot of information of marigold.
Information of Marigold Plant
Marigold is the most popular flower in our gardens. Its flowers are mainly used for making garlands for religious, social and many other purposes. In India, the Hindus use the marigold flower to worship gods and goddesses in puja, mostly in Diwali, Holi ( for organic colours). Its yellow colour is a sign of sunlight, which describes the new beginning.
About Marigold Plant
Marigold has found around 56 species across the world. Marigold flowers bloom in many colours like golden, orange, white, red and yellow. Yellow and Orange colour marigold flowers are one of the most common flowers. These flowers are also known as the “Herb of the Sun”, symbolising passion and creativity.
Marigold has 2 genres which refer to Tagetes and Calendula.
Tagetes: It is named for the god Tages, the god of wisdom and includes African and french marigold, which is commonly known in India.
Calendula: It includes pot marigold.
History Of Marigold Flower
In today’s world, the marigold is one of the most popular flowers which grows annually in North American Gardens. Many hundred years ago, their journey started from the Americas to Europe and Africa.
Around the turn of that century, only sweet peas and aster were the popular flowers of the United States. That was the right time for a new flower to make its debut. In 1915 David Burpee took over the seed company, which was corporate and invented by his father, W. Atlee Burpee. Young David felt that they decided to feature marigolds in his catalogue and fund research with all information of marigold.
From the 1920s, marigold breeding has developed with hundreds of new varieties. The fragrant marigolds, white marigolds, hybrids, and triploids have all been advancements in inbreeding. Somehow it seemed fitting that the marigold would find the breeding emphasis and popularity back in the Americas, from its centre of origin. Now, they are commonly known as Indian marigold flower.
Uses Of Marigold Flower
Marigold, the only flower which is fully packed with sunshine. We all know marigolds may not be charming or romantic, orchids and roses, marigolds have a major use which has an appeal of festivals. This flower makes its presence in religious ceremonies, weddings, funerals or many occasions.
Apart from the decoration by marigold, it has many uses for health and wellness. An ancient healer spoke, marigold flowers had medicinal uses for thousands of years, the medical science recognizes the health benefits from marigold flowers.
Marigolds are a big part of these Indian festivals. Marigolds are commonly originated in Mexico and have been used in India for barely 350 years.
Everyone knows little about it. We are here to tell you the amazing clinical uses of flower marigold India.
Uses Of Marigold Flowers
Why Are Marigolds Used in Pooja and Festivals?
Many flowers are offered to gods, Lord Ganesha is believed in red, yellow and orange flowers, and the marigold flower is one of them. This is the only flower that can be used in the form of petals. Marigold flower spreads positivity and give a lesson to grow with small leaves. This provide meaningful lesson, it is very special.
Varieties Of Marigold Flower
Over 50 varieties of marigolds are covered in the whole world. Here we are discussing the top 5 marigold varieties with complete information of marigold.
1. Tagetes Cottage Red
Tagetes Cottage Red is a bright red, single and five-petaled flower with a golden centre part and yellow edges. It was the first breed of Mexico called hybrid plant. Tagetes Cottage Red grows or appears from summer to winter (frost) as a 5 feet tall plant. It grows best in sunlight and long-lasting flowers. This is one of the most beautiful marigold flowers from the French marigold variety.
2. Baileya Multiradiata
Baileya multiradiata is a wild marigold that looks very attractive during spring. It originated in the deserts of the Southern US and Mexico. Baileya grows in sandy soil. It grows in spring for a few weeks, new plants grow from its seed. The baileya flower is very delicate and can’t even stand in the slightest frost. This bright yellow flower arises on nearly stems above green foliage. This flower turns into paper with time.
3. Calendula Officinalis Bon Bon Mix
Bon Bon variety is a dwarf marigold, which is completely suitable for pots and narrow border planting. The plant grows in large, pom-pom shaped flowers in apricot, orange and yellow shades. This flower grows best in cool temperatures cannot bear the heat. Its petals are edible and can used it to garnish cakes, puddings and salads.
4. Tagetes erect Discovery Orange
We know very well about this flower, it is very common and can be seen around us. These can be found to a large extent in flower shops, in our garden. Marigold flower, which we use the most for worship. Let’s know about this flower, what is its name, we all know it by the name of marigold, its scientific name, its yield, its native land, very important to know, it is a vital part of information of marigold.
Discovery Orange is a vigorous, floriferous plant that produces large orange and yellow flowers throughout the summer. This is a bushy plant that produces large, long-lasting flowers which bloom throughout the year. Its dark green foliage in the below part of the flower emits a distinctive smell at the time of crushed. It can be planted at the borders, in mass planting and in containers.
5. Tagetes erect Doubloon
The Doubloon variety has large, fully double, golden yellow pom pom flowers on strong and thick stems. It is one of the hardiest and sturdy marigolds and is highly weather-resistant and strong sunshine. These flowers can grow for a really long period irrespective of the weather.
Importance And Information About Marigold
- Marigold is a very common flower for the garden, home decoration and mainly used as loose flowers for making garlands for religious and social functions.
- Its easy and vast adaptability culture. You can earn a big Marigold farming profit.
- Its short duration to produce flowers, a wide range of attractive colours, shape, size, and good quality attracts the attention of flower growers and viewers.
- Marigolds are ideal for loose and cut flowers, mainly for making garlands.
- They can be planted in the beds for group display or grown in pots, in the home garden or decoration.
- In India, The demand for Marigold flowers at the time of Dashara and Diwali festival is very high, it offers to gods and goddesses.
Cultivation Of Marigold
Marigold cultivation needs complete marigold information for a better cultivation process. Marigold flower farming includes many steps to marigold flower cultivation. You can learn the process of marigold farming in India.
- Marigold flowers require a mild climate for better growth and flowering.
- The average temperature range for its growth is 18-20°C.
- Temperatures above 35°C do not allow the growth of the plants, which leads to a reduction in flower size and their number.
- Marigold flowers should not be grown in severe winter, the plants and flowers can be damaged by frost.
- Marigold can be grown in a vast range of soils, it can be adapted to different types of soil.
- Dwarf marigolds are best for farming of marigold flower cultivation in light soil, rich, well-drained, moist soils are best suitable for African (Tall) marigolds.
- Sandy loam soil with 5.6pH to 6.5pH is best for marigold farming.
For the main field, the land should be ploughed well by 2-3 harrowing and mixing of FYM 20-25 tonne per hectare, and it should be mix into the soil. You must make the ridges and furrow properly for a productive marigold plantation.
Sowing Time and Season
Depending on the environment, marigold planting is done in three different seasons and seeds are sown. Let’s check the duration in the below table where you can get information of marigold according to the duration of years and months.
|Flowering seasons||Planting time||Transplanting time|
|Late rains||Mid of June||Mid of July|
|Winters||Mid of September||Mid of October|
|Summers||January to February||February to March|
Harvesting of Flowers
- After transplanting, plants take around 40-50 days to flower.
- Loose flowers plucked, they attain full size upon their variety.
- Flowers harvested in the early morning hours.
- Irrigation plucking flowers gives better flower quality.
- Plucking of flowers regularly and removal of dried and bad flowers and leaves enhance the yield.
- About 100 to 150 flowers obtained from one plant, and its Blooming duration is about 3 months.
Highlighted Points of Infographic – Information Of Marigold Farming
- This infographic is about the varieties of marigold flowers in India with complete information.
- It includes origin, colors and duration of the types of marigold flowers.
- The types of marigold flowers list Tagetes Cottage Red, Baileya multiradiata, Calendula officinalisBon Bon Mix, Tagetes erect Discovery Orange, and Tagetes erect Doubloon.Infographic Here-
These are the types of marigold plant information, and we hope you get all the relevant information about marigold flowers and marigold cultivation practices. For more information of marigold and for other marigold cultivation in India, please visit Tractor Junction, where you can get detailed information of marigold and marigold flower farming in India, and many others.